Wednesday 21 February 2007

The Night Before

Fat Tuesday. Mardis gras. Pancake day. I make pancakes for dinner and open a nice bottle of Crozes Hermitage to breathe. It's terrific - a 2002. Then a brandy for a nightcap. Drink down my last swallow before midnight. It's the last drop I'll have until sundown on the 5th of April.

Why am I doing it? I don’t consider myself an alcoholic. I don’t think I need it. But it is a big part of my culture. If drinking half a bottle of Bordeaux of an evening with my husband is binge drinking (which for women is, apparently), then I binge drink at least a few times a week. Then if drinking wine Saturday lunch with the girls at a downtown restaurant, then having a vodka alco-pop at the Rugby match, then three glasses of wine and two shots of sambucca in the bar after is even worse, then that was me just a few weeks ago.

Having completed a few questionnaires on drinking behaviour, I’ve been advised I’m putting my health at risk with the amount I regularly drink. And I’ve been imbibing alcohol like this for years. Many years. If the amount I drink now shocks you, I’ve even reduced the amount I drink over the past few years.

No comments: