Saturday 31 March 2007

So close but so far

It's less than a week until the end of the fast. Hurrah. Readers will know that I've been looking foward to a slut cocktail (as opposed to a virgin cocktail?) next Thursday.

But I might be wrong. First it was my husband. I reminded him I'm likely out for some drinks on Thursday and he bristles a little. He thought it was Good Friday the fast ended - "Don't fall at the last hurdle," he said.

My turn to bristle. Fall at the last hurdle? I was already planning on relaxing the 'ends at dusk' rule, in order so that I can stroll from office to wine cellars and not have to wait like a numpty until the BBC's sun down report says so. I mean, this might be the one drawback to the long northerly summer nights we have started to enjoy since daylight savings time. Not only this but I've already let slip that I'll be in the wine bar after work to several folk!

So it's to t'internet to find The Answer. Of course, The Answer requires delving into the murkier aspects of Catholic dogma. Apparently, at the Council of Nicea, Lent fasting started on the first Lent Sunday and ended Holy Thursday. But that was, like, 325ad. Then because they aren't allowed to be penitent on Sundays, some bright spark decided it should extend back to Ash Wednesday and, what's getting my goat, Good Friday AND Saturday. Damn, waiting for Sunday to have a drink?

(If you want to see the full run down check out http://uscatholic.claretians.org/site/News2?abbr=usc_&page=NewsArticle&id=9619 )

I'm indignant. I highmindedly dismissed that 'get out of Sundays free' card and now it's threatening to bite me in the arse. Now I'm faced with the prospect of having to go even further to make up the 40 so called days I'll have already surpassed. Because although this Blog is called '40 days in the wilderness' perhaps my eagled eyed readers will have noticed I was in fact planning to abstain for 42. It just didn't have quite the same ring to it.

I'll have to think about this one more. Stay tuned for further reports...

No comments: